MACC to summon 18 more in Op Sky probe


KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) will summon 18 more individuals for statements to assist in the investigation into corruption and money laundering involving a financial consulting firm under Op Sky.

MACC Chief Commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said so far, statements have been recorded from 39 individuals in connection with the case.

"A total of 18 identified individuals will be called soon to have their statements recorded,” he said when contacted on Sunday (Feb 9).

Azam said the investigation is still ongoing, and the Commission requires time to complete the probe.

He also said that collaboration with several banks is underway to obtain relevant documents related to loans taken by identified clients.

Last Friday, the MACC recorded statements from three celebrities linked to the financial consulting firm after they were suspected of receiving payments of up to RM400,000 over one to two years as brand ambassadors for promotional purposes.

In the Op Sky operation last month, the MACC uncovered corruption and money laundering activities involving a financial consulting firm and bank officers from several financial institutions.

The operation, conducted by the MACC Anti-Money Laundering Division in collaboration with Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM), resulted in the arrest of 12 individuals in raids at 24 locations, including residences and offices around the Klang Valley.

To date, 27 individuals have been arrested, including 18 bank officers, eight employees of the financial consulting firm and a civilian. All of them have been released on MACC bail.

During the operation, the MACC seized about 4,000 documents and froze 98 bank accounts involving more than RM17mil - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco

Others Also Read