Legal action taken against contractor following deaths of two worker in Kota Marudu


KOTA KINABALU: The Energy Commission of Sabah (ECoS) has taken legal action against a contractor following a fatal electrical accident in Kota Marudu that claimed the lives of two workers.

Sessions Court Judge A. Akhirudin Acho scheduled the trial for Feb 24 and 25, after the accused pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Filed under Section 55 of the 2024 Electricity Supply Enactment (EBE) 2024, the charge carries a penalty of up to RM300,000, three years' imprisonment, or both.

The accident occurred on Feb 6 last year, when contract labourers Abi’rafhdi Affendy, 20, and Khomeni Maulana, 32, were electrocuted while installing fibre-optic cables off Jalan Marak-Parak.

The two were part of an eight-man team carrying a pole for cable installation when they allegedly came into contact with a live electrical wire.

ECoS chief executive officer Datuk Abdul Nasser Abdul Wahid (pic) said that since 2024, the commission has recorded 28 electrical accidents in Sabah, with nine resulting in fatalities. In 2024 alone, 12 fatal and 15 non-fatal cases were reported.

"One of the leading causes of these accidents is work conducted near electrical lines without proper authorisation from Sabah Electricity (SE). Other contributing factors include electricity theft in squatter areas, attempted theft of electrical components from SESB substations, and poorly maintained electrical installations," said Nasser.

Beyond legal prosecution, ECoS issued eight compounds last year, ranging from RM10,000 to RM150,000, depending on the offence.

Abdul Nasser stressed that all individuals performing electrical work in Sabah must obtain a Certificate of Competency from ECoS as per Regulation 60 of the Electricity Supply Regulations (PPBE) 2024.

"ECoS urges all parties to seek approval from SE before conducting any work near its infrastructure to ensure safety and compliance," he added.

Several other cases remain under investigation, with potential court actions or fines to follow.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

CJ: Dedicated court model works
Shattered dreams behind the bridal veil
Easing financial hardships�
Perak SMEs to get technology upgrade boost with govt investment
Special Corruption High Courts may be expanded nationwide
Wedding package compensation claims on the rise
Experts predict 6.3% EPF dividend
Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today

Others Also Read