MACC nabs company director in RM1mil bribery probe


KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has arrested a company director on suspicion of soliciting and accepting a bribe of RM1mil.

According to sources, the bribe was allegedly sought as a means to secure a sub-contract for a food and beverage supply service tender for workers, valued at approximately RM900mil.

The male suspect, in his 50s, was apprehended around 8pm on Wednesday (Jan 15) night after providing a statement at the MACC Putrajaya headquarters.

Initial investigations have revealed that the suspect is believed to have committed the act in August 2023, with the money traced to an account under the suspect's company name.

Furthermore, the suspect is also alleged to have falsely claimed to be the main contractor for a five-year food and beverage supply tender for workers at an oil refinery, even though no such tender existed.

"At the same time, the suspect, who also falsely claimed to be a Datuk, has a prior criminal record related to fraud," the sources said.

A five-day remand order against the suspect until Jan 20 was issued by Magistrate Irza Zulaikha Rohanuddin following an application by the MACC at the Putrajaya Magistrate's Court earlier on Thursday (Jan 16).

Meanwhile, MACC senior director (special operations division) Datuk Azmi Kamaruzaman, when contacted, confirmed the arrest and said the case is being investigated under Section 16(a)(A) of the MACC Act. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Corruption , Bribery , MACC , Arrest , Remand , Company Director , Tender

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read