Four who died at New Year's Eve concert likely took ecstasy, say cops


PETALING JAYA: The four people who died after attending a New Year's Eve concert in Bandar Sunway are believed to have taken drugs.

Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said initial investigations revealed the victims are suspected of consuming ecstasy.

"We are still waiting for the toxicology reports.

"Besides the four deceased victims, three others showed the same symptoms.

"All seven did not go to the concert together and went with respective friends and families," he said in a statement on Thursday (Jan 2).

Two victims are still receiving treatment at the intensive care unit while another has been discharged, he said.

"We have received six police reports lodged by Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) and Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

"We have opened four investigation papers to identify any criminal elements or poisoning," he said.

Comm Hussein said police have recorded the statement of six people.

"We will call up several others to record their statements, including the concert organiser and the victims' friends," he said.

Comm Hussein urged those with information on the incident to contact Subang Jaya district police headquarters at 03-7862 7222 or any police station.

It was reported the four deceased, all Malaysians including two women aged from 20 to 40, attended a concert in Bandar Sunway on Dec 31.

He said post-mortem examinations had been conducted but the exact cause of death was pending laboratory investigation.

No external injuries were detected and the cases were classified as sudden death.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Drugs , Ecstasy , Concert , New Year's Eve , Death , Pinkfish

Next In Nation

Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled
Woman fined RM2,000 for offering sexual services
Malaysia warns regional nations over Norway defence deals after axed RM1bil missile pact
Johor Barisan's move to contest state election independently not a betrayal of unity govt, says Zambry
Penang litterbugs face street sweeping, drain cleaning from July
Volunteer fire brigades hit back at corruption claims after viral post
Property valuation firm manager loses over RM505,000 in investment scam
Fifteen detained over Bukit Bintang flare incident
Ag Mohd Tahir convicted under anti-money laundering act
Court finds Papagomo liable for defaming Lim Guan Eng, son

Others Also Read