Rembia rep moved to Opposition bloc


MELAKA: Rembia assemblyman Datuk Muhammad Jailani Khamis (pic), who was previously part of the government bloc, has been moved to the Opposition bloc in the Melaka legislative assembly.

Speaker Datuk Ibrahim Durum said the decision was made after reviewing several matters concerning Muhammad Jailani’s membership in PAS.

Ibrahim said he had sent a letter to PAS secretary-general Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan to seek confirmation on the matter but had not received any response.

“The assemblyman’s admission is vague, merely claiming he is a PAS member. That is the only evidence I have,” he said during the state assembly sitting yesterday.

On July 16, Takiyuddin announced that Muhammad Jailani is now a PAS member.

He said the Rembia assemblyman became a member of the party in June 2023, before Melaka enacted the anti-law hopping law in July the same year.

“With this latest development, the number of assemblymen supporting the government now stands at 25, while the Opposition has three,” Ibrahim said.

Muhammad Jailani, when representing Barisan Nasional, won the Rembia seat with a majority of 860 votes in a five-corner contest during the state election in 2021.

In July last year, Umno suspended his membership for six years for allegedly sabotaging the party by attending the announcement of the Perikatan Nasional candidate for the Simpang Jeram by-election in Bakri, Johor.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Lawyer files bid to add RCI report as fresh evidence in Dr M’s Pulau Batu Puteh hearing
FashionValet received RM19.6mil from Khazanah in 2018, court told
Home Ministry to submit refugee data by year-end
Cop jailed eight years for drunk driving, fined RM40,000
Ex-Sabah hospital director seeks fairness over transfer in sexual harassment probe
Roof of science lab at Kuala Pilah school collapses
Melaka CM a 'great friend' of mine, says Saifuddin as he stays coy on possible BN-PH tie-up for state polls
Penang Customs seizes about RM2.5mil worth of illicit ciggies, booze in three separate raids
Exco approved RM180,000 allocation for Pakatan assemblymen before dissolution, says Negri MB
M40 group a key focus of upcoming Budget, says PM Anwar

Others Also Read