Fire razes houses in Hong Seng Estate, George Town


GEORGE TOWN: Fire has razed seven houses in the hills of the Hong Seng Estate near Tanjung Tokong here on Monday (Dec 16).

The houses, which were partially built out of wood, were seen blazing as rescuers rushed to douse the flames at about 6.30pm.

Narrow roads and poor access further hampered rescue vehicles trying to reach the blaze.

No casualties have been reported so far as the residents managed to flee.

The flames led to thick smoke billowing into the air and could be seen from a distance.

Kebun Bunga assemblyman Lee Boon Heng said he is awaiting the list of victims from the Community Welfare Department to channel necessary aid to the needy.

"Thankfully nobody was injured but we would work to extend necessary aid," he said.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Number of flood victims in Sabah continues to rise tonight
PAS' Hadi pays tribute to Muhyiddin as coalition transitions
Newly appointed PN chairman seeks political consensus for all Malaysians
Hamzah, 18 MPs reaffirm support for PN under new chairman Ahmad Samsuri
PKR vet says he'll continue supporting Pakatan despite not defending his seat
Villager hears explosion outside house as fire engulfs homes
School reopening in Paitan, Sabah delayed after worst ever flood destroys classrooms
Sarawak fully recovers from floods
Two recycling premises suspected in Sungai Kabul odour pollution
PAS should hold Opposition Leader post, but we have to think about it, says Takiyuddin

Others Also Read