Putrajaya may consider Ocean Infinity proposal for new MH370 search


KUALA LUMPUR: Putrajaya may consider Ocean Infinity’s proposal on a new search location for the ill-fated MH370 flight, says Anthony Loke.

“The new search location that was proposed by the Ocean Infinity company is based on information and latest data analysis by experts and researchers that the company had referred to,” the Transport Minister said during question and answer time in the Dewan Rakyat on Tuesday(Nov 5).

“Ocean Infinity’s proposal for the search operation is credible and can be considered by the Malaysian government in its capacity as the country where the flight MH370 had been registered,” he added.

Loke was responding to a question by Chong Zemin (PH-Kampar) on whether the government still intends to continue the search for the Beijing-bound flight that disappeared on March 8,2014.

Loke said if there is credible evidence, the government will consider further search operations.

“This is the government’s consistent stance,” he said.

He said the ministry is looking into the offer by marine exploration company Ocean Infinity that was made to the ministry in June.

Loke said the new search location is estimated to include some 15,000 square kilometres in the Indian Ocean.

This search, he added, will be on a "no find, no fee" basis.

The government will not have to make any payment to the company if it is unable to find the remnants of the flight.

Previously, Ocean Infinity had conducted searches in the Indian Ocean from 2017 until the end of 2018.

In March, the Texas-based firm claimed that it had found new scientific evidence on the last location of MH370.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing on March 8, 2014.

The plane, a Boeing 777-200ER, was en route from KL International Airport to Beijing Capital International Airport in China.

However, it disappeared from radar screens less than an hour after take-off. There were 239 people on board; 12 of whom were crew members.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read