GISB case: Current laws prevent us from going overboard, unlike 1994, says CID chief


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman is conducting its investigations on Global Ikhwan Services and Business Holdings (GISB) transparently without going overboard.

Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said allegations by former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad that police action against GISB was too harsh should not have arisen.

"Actions against GISB and Al-Arqam are different. In 1994, we have prevention laws, whereby we don't have to go through the judiciary system.

"Now, all those detained have to be dealt with via the open legal system, where we have to find evidence and the procedures are transparent. We conduct enforcement based on current laws," he told a press conference at the Police Training Centre (Pulapol) on Thursday (Oct 10).

Comm Mohd Shuhaily said on GISB, the police discovered elements of neglect and persecution in the business that they have developed.

"Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain also mentioned previously that GISB business operations were conducted based on the Aurad Muhammadiah teachings, which has been deemed deviant.

"Our legal system is becoming more mature and we hope that society will understand the legal process.

"The police is entrusted to investigate and to find all evidence to bring to the deputy public prosecutor so that they can analyse and recommend further actions to be taken," he said.

Previously, Dr Mahathir said the police were too hard against GISB and it seemed the government intended to destroy the organisation, rather than to rehabilitate the members.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read