Govt considers ending chicken egg subsidy, says Mat Sabu


PUTRAJAYA: The Agriculture and Food Security Ministry (KPKM) is reviewing the subsidy for chicken eggs grades A, B and C.

Its minister, Datuk Seri Mohamad Sabu, said the government is considering ending the egg subsidy to save RM100mil a month, which could be redirected to develop other critical aspects in agro-food sectors.

"A proposal has been submitted to the Finance Ministry and Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry," he told the media after the KPKM monthly assembly on Wednesday (Oct 9).

He said the country has spent more than RM3bil since February 2022 in subsidies for chicken and chicken eggs.

ALSO READ: Floating chicken, egg prices prevents subsidies from benefitting the wealthy, foreigners, says PM

The subsidy for chicken was terminated on Nov 1 last year, following which, the supply and price of chicken became more stable.

"When we took the unpopular decision of ending the chicken subsidy, many people belittled our efforts, saying that the price of chicken would soar.

"Alhamdulillah, after the subsidy was terminated, the price of chicken no longer soared, and more importantly, the country benefited by saving RM100mil a month," he said – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre
DAP members, leaders must respect outcome of special congress, says Chow
Ramanan lauds SJKT Ladang Kinrara's success at international youth STEM event
Man nabbed while trying to steal railway cables between Kempas Baru, Kulai
Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star

Others Also Read