Health Ministry steps up mpox screening at all entry points


KOTA BHARU: The Health Ministry has stepped up health screenings at all border entry points to prevent the spread of mpox.

Deputy Health Minister Datuk Lukanisman Awang Sauni said the effort was intensified following a case involving a man who was confirmed to have contracted mpox.

He said screenings are being conducted according to procedures, including body temperature checks, and individuals suspected of showing mpox symptoms will be taken for further screening and examination.

"The ministry is also prioritising the health of healthcare workers and will issue a statement regarding vaccines to prevent the infection.

"So far, the infection remains under control, and MOH is focusing its attention, particularly on high-risk groups,” he told reporters after participating in the Kelantan-level Clean and Smoke-Free Premises Walkabout Programme at Laman Siti Khadijah, Jalan Buluh Kubu, here on Saturday (Sept 21).

Lukanisman then said the ministry has provided guidelines on how mpox could infect high-risk groups if symptoms are present.

"The ministry is prepared to deal with the Mpox issue, and we have also informed all health clinics across the country,” he said.

Meanwhile, he said the ministry expects the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2023 (Act 852) to be enforced starting this October, once the related rules and orders are gazetted.

"We have enforced the latest Act 852 and are awaiting feedback from the Attorney-General’s Chambers on the matter. We expect a response in October and hope to implement enforcement swiftly,” he added. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read