Malaysia condemns deadly cyber-related attacks in Lebanon


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia is gravely concerned about the recent use of communication devices as explosives across Lebanon since Sept 17, which has claimed at least 21 lives and injured 3,300 people.

The Foreign Ministry said Malaysia strongly condemns these cyber-related attacks in the strongest terms, as they undermine Lebanon’s security, stability, and sovereignty.

Wisma Putra said Malaysia stands in solidarity with Lebanon in this crisis and will work with the international community to defuse and de-escalate the already tense situation.

ALSO READ: Gold Apollo says it did not make pagers used in Lebanon explosion

"Malaysia expresses its deepest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families who have lost their loved ones in this tragedy, as well as to the government and the people of Lebanon,” said the ministry in a statement on Thursday (Sept 19).

"We also pray for the speedy recovery of those injured. So far, there have been no reports of Malaysians involved in the incident,” the statement read.

The Foreign Ministry said the Embassy of Malaysia in Beirut is closely monitoring developments and is actively liaising with the local authorities.

ALSO READ: Hezbollah devices explode again in Lebanon, raising fears of wider Israel conflict

The ministry urged all Malaysians in Lebanon to keep abreast of the latest developments, take due precautions, and adhere to travel advisories from local authorities.

Those who have not yet registered and updated their whereabouts and details are strongly encouraged to do so immediately at https://ekonsular.kln.gov.my.

For assistance, the Embassy of Malaysia in Beirut is reachable at the following address: Lot 170, Saad Zaghloul Street, Downtown, Beirut, Lebanon; phone: +961 71 380 063, +961 7677 2527, and e-mail: mwbeirut@kln.gov.my - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read