GISB being investigated as organised crime outfit, says IGP


KUALA LUMPUR: Under close scrutiny for allegedly operating illegal welfare homes, GISB Holdings Sdn Bhd is now being investigated as an organised crime syndicate said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain.

Although he did not elaborate, it is understood that police are investigating whether the company thrived on donations and other funding under the guise of running welfare homes for orphans.

Razarudin said GISB executive chairman and chief executive officer Datuk Nasiruddin Mohd Ali are among those who will be summoned for questioning for the probe.

ALSO READ: GISB probe: We didn't hesitate to raid care homes given glaring signs of misdeeds, says IGP

He said initial investigations showed that none of the female children were victims of sexual crimes and none of those arrested in the operation had past run-ins with the law.

Last Wednesday, police rescued 402 children, comprising 201 boys and 201 girls, aged between one and 17, from 20 care homes in Selangor and Negri Sembilan in a rescue operation codenamed Ops Global.

ALSO READ: GISB probe: King orders police to conduct immediate, thorough investigation

The raid rounded up a total of 171 suspects, aged between 17 and 64, including a teacher and dormitory caretakers. Razarudin had said 159 of these suspects had been remanded for between four and seven days.

Razarudin said apart from the criminal elements in the case, police investigations will also look into other aspects such as the legality of the childcare centres

Also present at the press conference at the Police Training Centre (Pulapol) on Jalan Semarak here were Jakim deputy director-general Datuk Dr. Sirajuddin Suhaimee and senior officials from the Health Ministry and Social Welfare Department.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco

Others Also Read