‘Sinkhole incident not a disaster’


KOTA BARU: There is no need to declare the Jalan Masjid India area in Kuala lumpur, where the sinkhole incident recently occurred, as unsafe or a disaster zone, says Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain.

When an area is declared as unsafe, he said, the police must obtain special permission from the National Security Council.

“So far, there is no need to declare Jalan Masjid India as an unsafe zone because the sinkhole incident is not classified as a disaster.

“Even though it is not a disaster, the police, Fire and Rescue Department, Kuala Lumpur City Hall and the Civil Defence Force have performed their duties diligently as if it were, due to the operation control centre being in place,” he told a press conference at the handover of duties of the Kelantan police chief at the state contingent police headquarters yesterday.

He said this when asked about the latest developments in the search and rescue operation (SAR) to locate an Indian national who is still missing after she stepped into a sinkhole.

“I have visited the Jalan Masjid India area twice, and the search for the missing victim will continue until she is found,” he said, Bernama reported.

“Additionally, instructions have been issued to Kuala Lumpur police chief (Datuk Rusdi Mohd Isa) and Dang Wangi district police chief (ACP Sulizme Affendy Sulaiman) to close all chambers and culverts,” he added.

Razarudin said the route along Jalan Masjid India towards Jalan Raja Laut was closed for SAR operation.

He also clarified that authorities have not ordered any of the nearby shops to close.

“I prefer not to elaborate on this matter as the police’s role is primarily related to security, not technical aspects,” he said.

On Aug 23, Vijayalaksmi, 48, from Kuppam, Andhra Pradesh, fell into an 8m-deep pit when the ground she was walking on caved in.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
police , sinkhole , no need , decare , unsafe , IGP , Razarudin Husain

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read