Rosmah applies to stay hearing of suit by Lebanon-based jeweller


KUALA LUMPUR: Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor has applied to stay the proceedings of the suit filed against her by Lebanon-based jeweller, Global Royalty Trading SAL, over the loss of more than 40 pieces of jewellery.

Her lawyer, Rajivan Nambiar, said the application, filed on June 7, was to stay the proceedings of the suit pending the decision of her appeal at the Court of Appeal against a High Court decision which dismissed her application to include the government and the police as the third party in the case.

In the proceedings before Senior Assistant Registrar Norhaina Zulkifli today, the court fixed Aug 16 to hear the stay application to be conducted online before Judge Ong Chee Kwan, said the lawyer when contacted on Monday (June 24).

Global Royalty filed the suit on May 29 last year, claiming that Rosmah had lied by saying that 44 pieces of jewellery, including diamond necklaces, bracelets, and tiaras that were sent to her by the company’s agent were seized by the Malaysian authorities under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.

The jeweller also claimed that the wife of former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak had shifted the burden to the Malaysian government when in fact, the jewellery had gone missing.

The company had initially sued Rosmah on June 26, 2018, and demanded that she return the 44 pieces of jewellery or pay US$14.79mil. However, the suit was withdrawn in 2019. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

The Malaysian journey in various artforms
Those who used ‘troll farm’ to abuse online identified
RM7.9bil lost to floods between 2021 and 2023
Cruelty unleashed on dogs
Cyberbullying laws to be reviewed
‘RM100 fine since there’s no specific law for cyberbullying’
Malaysia-Iran cooperation will not be influenced by foreign parties, says PM
Man escapes gallows for murdering friend's teen daughter, sentenced to 40 years
28 students discharged after food poisoning incident at George Town school
MPs required to undergo health screening by Nov 11

Others Also Read