Tanjung Aru Beach,Prince Philip Park to stay open


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah’s iconic Tanjung Aru Beach and the historic Prince Philip Park will always be accessible to the people, says Tan Sri Pandikar Amin Mulia.

The Tanjung Aru Eco Develop-ment Sdn Bhd (TAEDSB) chairman reassured the public amid rumours circulating that the beach and public park will be privatised and turned into upscale residential and hotel developments.

“That is simply not accurate. Since day one, we have made it clear that Tanjung Aru Beach and Prince Philip Park will remain open and accessible to the public,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Since its inception in 2013, the TAEDSB has been under close scrutiny due to the sensitive nature of Tanjung Aru Beach and Prince Philip Park being national treasures.

Concerns have been raised over whether the area would be sold off to developers, leaving locals with limited open space to enjoy.

The multibillion ringgit Tanjung Aru Eco Development project announced under the previous Barisan Nasional administration remained controversial with the Parti Warisan-led state government keeping to the plan during its rule from 2018 to 2020.

But no project under the plan took off.

Following the transition to the Gabungan Rakyat Sabah government in 2020, Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor affirmed in the state assembly his preference for keeping Tanjung Aru Beach open to the public amid a controversy that parts of the beach had been closed.

Covering some 340ha, the development was initially slated to have seven hotels with 1,800 rooms, 5,000 apartment and condominium units, marinas, entertainment venues and a 133ha golf course.

To address public concerns, TAEDSB, led by Pandikar and its general manager Datuk Jake Jikulin Nointin, organised a gathering with the public called the “Majlis Santai Peduli Rakyat Open House” yesterday.

Pandikar said the main role of the TAEDSB is to ensure that the beach and public park remains clean and well-maintained to be enjoyed by the public.

“It is hoped that the open house will remove the barrier between the people and TAEDSB and help them understand more about its project,” he said.

Some 15,000 people attended the event, which was launched by Sabah Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Juhar Mahiruddin.

Also present were Hajiji, Deputy Chief Minister III Datuk Shahel-mey Yahya and Kota Kinabalu Mayor Datuk Seri Sabin Samitah.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Free shuttle bus services for national month launch on Sunday (July 21)
MMEA launch SAR after cargo ship crew member falls into Melaka waters
Malaysian High Commission in Dhaka assures safety of Malaysians amid student protest
Cyberbullying not applicable to politicians, says Dr Wee
King, Queen grace Yasin recital and doa selamat ceremony
Handbag believed to belong to Nur Farah Kartini found near river
Male teacher detained for alleged assault on autistic boy in Kelana Jaya
MCMC fines three individuals for obscene comments on female infant circumcision
RM100 is not enough to penalise cyberbullying, says Home Minister
Parliament adjourns without Prevention and Control of Infectious Disease (Amendment) Bill vote

Others Also Read