MACC probing Mahathir


Ex-PM among those being investigated over asset declaration

GUA MUSANG: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has confirmed that Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is among the people being investigated over the asset declaration issue.

Chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki said as a result of the investigation, the former premier’s two sons were also served a notice to declare their assets within the period stipulated in the notice under Section 36 of the MACC Act 2009.

“I don’t intend to go into more details about the case.

“Let the MACC continue the investigation until I think of a suitable time for us to announce the findings of the investigation into the case,” he told reporters after launching the new Gua Musang MACC branch office here yesterday, Bernama reported.

On Jan 18 and Jan 26, MACC served Dr Mahathir’s sons – Mirzan and Tan Sri Mokhzani – with a notice to declare all movable and immovable assets under their possession, in the country and abroad, within 30 days from the date of the notice.

They were later given a 30-day extension by the MACC owing to the extensive nature of the assets.

Mokhzani was then investigated under the MACC Act 2009 and the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorist Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.

When asked to comment on the investigation into the case of former prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s son-in-law, Azam said there were new indications that Datuk Seri Muhammad Adlan Berhan was shopping somewhere.

“Based on MACC monitoring, he (Muhammad Adlan) has used his credit cards in several countries.

“MACC has applied to Interpol for a Red Notice on him, and we are still tracking him down to be charged in court,” he said.

In August last year, MACC tracked down two men to assist in its investigation into corruption and embezzlement in the registration, recruitment and biometric storage of foreign workers in a ministry.

The first person was Muhammad Adlan, 48, with his last known address listed as Lot 65, Sunway Kiara Hills, Jalan 32/70A Desa Sri Hartamas, while the second was Mansoor Saat, 69, a lawyer, with his last known address listed as No. 5 Jalan SS19/1C Subang Jaya, Selangor.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Umno Supreme Working Council to decide on Bersatu members rejoining party, says Ahmad Maslan
3,685 flee homes as floods worsen in Sabah
Border control seizes RM1.9mil in animal products
Elderly woman stabbed by daughter with can opener in Johol
Former footballer back in action with ‘air balang’ business
Hajiji urges flood victims�to prioritise safety
Anwar meets with Singapore PM
MMEA assures transparent probe into personnel misconduct
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah held nationwide
M’sia eyes stronger ties with new PM

Others Also Read