Rockfall tragedy: Only Qing Xin Ling village closed so far, says Ipoh mayor


IPOH: Only the Qing Xin Ling Leisure and Culture Village in Taman Saikat here is temporarily closed following the death of a tourist guide, who was hit by a falling rock at the tourist centre, said Ipoh Mayor, Datuk Rumaizi Baharin.

He said that no other tourist spots in the foothills have been closed, and all are operating as usual.

"So far, Qing Xin Ling (a 20-minute drive from Ipoh) is the only venue temporarily closed; we are following the current instruction issued by the state government so other (tourist spots) operate as usual unless a circular is issued.

"We support what Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Saarani Mohamad has suggested regarding this issue and also the circular which will be issued by the special committee for the development of caves and foothills in Perak,” he said after attending the Ipoh City Council (MBI) Aidilfitri gathering and donation presentation to B40 recipients and orphans on Friday (April 19).

On April 8, Ipoh police chief, ACP Abang Zainal Abidin Abang Ahmad, confirmed that a 44-year-old local man died after being hit by a falling rock at the Qing Xin Ling Leisure and Cultural Village, located at the foothills of Gunung Rapat, in an incident that occurred around 11.30am.

Following that, the tourist area was temporarily closed until a full report on the incident was completed.

Saarani previously stated that the safety aspect will not be compromised as it is a life-threatening risk; the special committee for the development of caves and foothills in Perak will assess it from all angles later.

In another development, Rumaizi said that the process of upgrading the popular Gerbang Malam business location, for the construction of Phase 2 structures, will start around June 2024.

"So far the quotation tender has been closed, and we will appoint a contractor to start the upgrading work, which is expected in June.

"The Housing and Local Government Ministry allocated RM500,000, and another RM250,000 was allocated by the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry, for this second phase,” he said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre

Others Also Read