Luxury car ring taken down


PUTRAJAYA: Six members of a syndicate responsible for RM33mil in losses to the government are expected to be charged over the next two days.

The suspects are believed to have illegally reduced duties to be paid for luxury cars in Langkawi.

Those to be charged include the operators of warehouse facilities where the cars were stored.

They are expected to face 21 charges at the Alor Setar Sessions Court on Monday and Tuesday.

It was earlier reported that graft investigators had carried out a special operation after the Audit Report 2022 highlighted shortages in Langkawi Customs Department’s duty collection between 2012 to 2021.

According to the report, there was a leakage of more than RM72mil in duty collection, involving 100 luxury cars of makes such as Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche.

Acting on the report, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) carried out a special operation codenamed ‘Ops Eagle.’

Investigators found the syndicate working in cohort with luxury cars buyers who wanted exemption or to pay lower duties despite them being ineligible.

MACC special operations division senior director Datuk Azmi Kamaruzaman confirmed the suspects will be charged.

He added that the owners of the luxury cars involved in this case are also being investigated.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Dr Wee wishes Musa Hitam happy 90th birthday a first meeting more than five years
Technician pleads not guilty to initiating offensive remarks on social media in recharge
Official notification of PJD Link project cancellation soon, says Nanta
Kelantan to cooperate fully to ensure success of Aidilfitri Madani, says MB
Dubai's flood aftermath, Malaysian travellers facing difficulties
Musa Hitam a stalwart of principle, integrity, says Anwar
Sarawak Premier to address global climate and renewable energy forums in Poland
Mount Ruang eruption: Thousands of Sabah, Sarawak-bound passengers stranded
June 27 decision on Malaysian Bar's application for leave to challenge Zahid's DNAA
Mt Ruang eruption: Air quality in Sabah, Sarawak not affected so far, says MetMalaysia

Others Also Read