KAJANG: Two international schools here have received hoax bomb threats since Tuesday (Nov 21).
Kajang OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Zaid Hassan said the police received the reports on the threats from an international school at 10am Tuesday and another early Wednesday (Nov 22) morning.
"We received the latest report this morning after the school administrators realised the email contained a bomb threat.
"We received the report at about 8am as the administrators had just opened their email.
"We deployed the Bomb Disposal Unit and the K9 unit to the school as soon as possible," he told a press conference on Wednesday (Nov 22).
Security flushing was conducted at the school and no bomb or explosive device was discovered on the school grounds, he said.
"All action was in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP).
"The students and school personnel were also evacuated while we conducted the security flushing," he said.
The school has since returned to normal operations after the police action concluded, he added.
It was reported that at least 19 schools were affected by an email containing a bomb hoax on Tuesday.
The email which caused classes to come to a halt at the schools was believed to have also been sent to 70 schools in Jamaica earlier this month.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain had said investigations on the contents of the email revealed that it was originally written in English and then translated to Bahasa Malaysia.
“The same contents were also sent to 70 schools in Jamaica on Nov 12 using the same email service provider.
“The investigation now is focusing on whether the incident in Malaysia is related to the incident in Jamaica that is believed to have been masterminded by one individual who may have experienced childhood abuse and lack of attention but has expertise in the field of software engineering to protect his identity,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.
He said 19 schools nationwide reported receiving the same email in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor, Penang, Perak and Negri Sembilan.
Razarudin said police have opened investigations under Section 507 of the Penal Code for criminal intimidation and Section 233 of the Communication and Multimedia Act for misuse of network facilities.
“We give our assurance that the safety of students and teachers is guaranteed nationwide,” he said.