HSA lawsuit to go to trial

Three parents of victims filed for negligence over hospital fire

PUTRAJAYA: Three negligence lawsuits filed by parents of three patients who perished in a fire at Hospital Sultanah Aminah (HSA) in Johor Baru in 2016 will go to trial at the High Court.

This was after senior federal counsel Zahilah Mohammad Yusoff, representing the hospital director, health director-general, Health Ministry, the government of Malaysia, and the Johor health director agreed to withdraw their leave applications to appeal.

They had wanted to appeal against a decision of the Court of Appeal in overturning a High Court ruling in February last year, which had struck out the lawsuits.

Chief Judge of Malaya Tan Sri Mohamad Zabidin Mohd Diah, who chaired the Federal Court’s three-member bench, then struck out the leave applications.

The two other judges on the bench were Federal Court judges Tan Sri Nallini Pathmanathan and Datuk Abu Bakar Jais.

In yesterday’s proceeding that was held online, Justice Mohamad Zabidin told Zahilah that the Court of Appeal decision, which the government was seeking leave to appeal, is interlocutory (provisional) and involved issues on the statute of limitations.

Justice Mohamad Zabidin said the court does not grant leave for interlocutory matters and asked Zahilah if it was better for the trial to proceed at the High Court where the government could argue on issues relating to the Government Proceedings Act and the statute of limitations since the trial has not started.

Justice Abu Bakar said it was better for those issues to be trashed out at the High Court instead of the government proceeding with the leave to appeal applications, as the High Court’s decision can be appealed.

Lawyer S. Gunasegaran, representing the victims’ parents, said the government would not be prejudiced and be stopped from arguing the point on the statute of limitations in the High Court.

Zahilah then agreed to withdraw the leave application to appeal.

The parents of the three patients – Logeswaran Krishnasamy, Choo Lin Fong, and Kaliama Muniandy – filed the suits in 2019, claiming negligence on the part of the hospital and the government over the fire that broke out on Oct 25, 2016 at the south intensive care unit ward of the hospital.

Six patients perished in the fire.

On May 3 this year, the Court of Appeal allowed the appeals brought by the parents of the three patients to overturn a High Court ruling in February last year which struck out their lawsuits on the grounds that they were “time-barred”.

Section 2(a) of the Public Authorities Protection Act (PAPA) 1948 imposes a three-year statute of limitations on lawsuits or prosecution of individuals executing public duties. — Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Cement truck operator killed during accident in Tawau
Traffic cops clear traffic after unclogging drains in JB
Heavy rain causes flash floods in three villages in Baling
Eight people escape tragedy after boat capsizes in Likas
Too early for Cabinet reshuffle, says Anwar
Legislation in 2024 to be people-centric, says Azalina
Married couple loses over RM1.6mil to investment scam
Ex-lorry driver escapes gallows, sentence commuted to 33 years jail
Woman in fatal accident gets five-year jail, RM20,000 fine
Suspect nabbed in PJ-Cyberjaya high-speed chase wanted for armed robbery, say cops

Others Also Read