Kosovo's Thaci defends innocence ahead of Hague war crimes ruling


Demonstrators wave flags at a protest in support of former Kosovo President Hashim Thaci and other former Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) members, who are on trial for war crimes at a court in the Netherlands as Kosovars celebrate the 18th anniversary of independence, in Pristina, Kosovo, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Florion Goga

PRISTINA, Feb 18 (Reuters) - ⁠Kosovo's former President Hashim Thaci told judges at his war crimes trial ⁠in The Hague on Wednesday that justice cannot be served by "prosecuting ‌the innocent".

Thaci and three other former Kosovo Liberation Army commanders are charged with persecution, murder, torture and forced disappearances of people during and shortly after the 1998-99 uprising that eventually brought independence for ​the Albanian-majority region from Serbia.

They deny all the ⁠charges.

"Justice for the victims cannot ⁠be honoured by prosecuting the innocent, reconciliation cannot happen through selective and ethnic-based prosecutions," ⁠Thaci ‌said in his final comments to the court before the verdict, expected within three months.

Thaci, 57, described prosecution allegations that he and his co-accused ⁠masterminded a violent campaign to win political control of ​Kosovo as "untrue, utterly absurd ‌and deeply offensive".

His defence team has said there is no evidence to ⁠directly linkThacito ​any of the alleged crimes and that there was insufficient evidence to sayhecontrolled otherKLAcommanders.

Last week, prosecutors sought a 45-year prison sentence for Thaci and his co-accused following a nearly three-year ⁠trial.

They say that in 1998 and 1999 more ​than 100 political opponents and perceived collaborators with Serbian security forces were killed and hundreds abused in and around 50 detention camps run by theKLA.

Thaci and the three ⁠other defendants - former parliament speakers Jakup Krasniqi and Kadri Veseli, and former lawmaker Rexhep Selimi - were arrested in 2020 and sent to face trial at the special Kosovo war crimes court in The Hague.

More than 13,000 people, mostly Kosovo Albanians, ​are believed to have died during the late 1990s ⁠insurgency, when Kosovo was still a province of Serbia under then-President Slobodan Milosevic, whose ​troops violently cracked down on ethnic Albanians.

KLA leaders ‌are seen by many in Kosovo as national ​liberation heroes. Thousands rallied in the capital Pristina on Tuesday in support of the former KLA commanders.

(Reporting by Fatos BytyciEditing by Gareth Jones)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Pope Leo laments a world 'in flames' at Ash Wednesday service
Nine skiers still missing, six rescued, after California avalanche
UN human rights chief raises alarm after drone strikes kill more than 50 civilians in Sudan
Ex-aide to Georgia's most powerful man released early from prison after guilty plea
Britain issues removal orders to four who landed on Chagos atoll
Denmark's king visits Greenland, showing unity in the face of Trump threats
UAE president met US senator Graham in Abu Dhabi
France opens Epstein probes into human trafficking and tax fraud
Argentine maritime workers begin 48-hour strike against labor reform
EU-India trade deal is what world needs, not tariffs, Finland PM Orpo says

Others Also Read