KUALA LUMPUR: The number of foreign worker applications to be approved for the textile, goldsmith and barbershops sub-sectors will be decided during the Cabinet meeting on Friday, says Human Resources Minister V. Sivakumar.
“We will discuss this. Details will (most likely) be discussed during the next Cabinet meeting.
“If there is more detailed information on the matter, I will announce it following the Cabinet meeting,” he told a press conference after launching the National Training Index at a hotel here yesterday.
Sivakumar was asked on the number of applications to be approved for the three sub-sectors.
When asked on whether an announcement could be expected directly after the Cabinet meeting, Sivakumar said, “Hopefully.”
On Monday, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said that part of the applications for the recruitment of foreign workers involving barbershops, textiles and goldsmiths had been approved.
However, he added that the condition was that local youths be trained to fill up vacancies in the three sub-sectors.
“We have given approval, but in part. I am not opening everything up because there have to be efforts (to provide training) through Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET), through Tekun Nasional (the National Entrepreneurial Group Economic Fund).
“Training must be provided for youths,” he said when launching the Lestari Niaga@Kuala Lumpur D’Medan Selera Madani programme at Kompleks Tun Sambanthan here.
In March, The Star highlighted the issue of textile, goldsmith and barbershop sub-sectors not being allowed to hire foreigners, while existing permits of their foreign workers will not be renewed effective March 15.
The three sub-sectors have not been allowed to recruit fresh foreign workers since 2009.