BAM's Kenny Goh and Roslin Hashim reach settlement in defamation case


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Kenny Goh Chee Keong and Muhammad Roslin Hashim have reached a settlement in a defamation suit after Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary-general received an apology from the country's former men's singles shuttler in the High Court here.

Muhammad Roslin, 48, when reading his statement of apology in front of Judicial Commissioner Roz Mawar Rozain here on Wednesday (Sept 6) said he sincerely apologised openly and unconditionally to Goh for making defamatory statements and insulting the latter during a Facebook Live session on his 'Abe Lin' account on Jan 19, 2022.

"I regret my statement which caused various problems and difficulties for Datuk Kenny Goh Chee Keong. I am aware that my statement has damaged his reputation and good name, especially among badminton fans in Malaysia.

"I am aware that I have humiliated Datuk Kenny with abusive words that are baseless which should not have been said. I hope this apology can clear Datuk Kenny's good name and restore the professional and personal relationship between us," said Muhammad Roslin, who also promised not to repeat the act.

Roz Mawar then recorded the consent judgment of the case and cleared the previously set trial dates on Sept 5, 6, 7, 11 and 12.

"I wish you (Muhammad Roslin) good luck as well. Hopefully, professionally and personally (this) would repair the relationship," said Roz Mawar.

Earlier, lawyer Datuk Seri Jahabardeen Mohamed Yunoos, representing Goh, informed the court that both parties had agreed to settle the case amicably and agreed on the terms of the settlement.

"The settlement terms include the defendant (Muhammad Roslin) having to make an apology by reading a statement of apology in open court. In addition, the apology must be broadcast in four media, namely Berita Harian, Utusan, NST and The Star," he said.

Lawyer Haijan Omar, who represents the former world number one badminton player, confirmed the matter.

Meanwhile, Muhammad Roslin, who is also a badminton coach, when met by reporters said he was relieved that everything was over, and considered it a lesson learnt.

Goh said he was grateful that everything ended well and accepted Muhammad Roslin's apology.

"Roslin's appointment in the technical advisory panel was made by the BAM council and it has nothing to do with this case. I have known Roslin for a long time, I agree with Roslin that we all need to move forward," he said.

Goh, 57, as the plaintiff filed the suit against Muhammad Roslin on March 28, 2022, claiming that Muhammad Roslin made defamatory statements and insulted him via a Facebook Live session which was watched by hundreds of the latter's followers as well as reporters from various news agencies, print media, online media and social media.

Goh claimed that the slanderous statements, among others, implied that he had abused his position as secretary-general and chairman of the BAM coaching and training committee and was detrimental to the association. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Ebit Lew made video call to me while shirtless, witness tells court
Duo get two months' jail each for attempted Istana Negara trespass
Let police investigate, Dr Wee tells Teresa Kok
Malaysia Airlines confirms death of crew member in Tokyo
Sabah Cabinet expected to deliberate possible action against state AG, says Kitingan
Grass cutter hurt after shot with air rifle in Kota Kinabalu
Johor Immigration nabs 18 foreigners without travel documents
Wildlife Crime Bureau launches raids leading to RM5mil worth of seizures, says Bukit Aman
Malay businessmen and industrialists group lauds move to realign bumiputra-mandated agencies
Surgery complex at HSIS Heart Centre will undergo repairs next month

Others Also Read