Immigration to probe claim of minister raising a ruckus at KLIA


KUALA LUMPUR: A probe is being conducted after a news report alleged that a minister caused a commotion at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

"A thorough investigation covering all aspects connected to the incident will be carried out," Immigration Department director-general Datuk Ruslin Jusoh said in a statement on Friday (June 30).

He was referring to an article published by a news portal titled "EKSKLUSIF: Menteri buat kecoh di KLIA tuntut pelawat China ditahan imigresen dibebaskan" (Exclusive: Minister causes commotion at KLIA demanding release of visitor from China by Immigration) which was published on Thursday (June 29).

The report was also used by several other media agencies.

Ruslin urged the public to allow his department to conduct its investigation and refrain from speculating or inciting matters further.

It was reported that the minister allegedly raised a fuss at the airport to help a Chinese citizen who was denied entry into the country.

The portal alleged that the minister scolded auxiliary police and Immigration personnel during the incident.

It was learnt this was the third time the minister reportedly acted this way over foreign nationals who had been detained.

Cuepacs president Datuk Adnan Mat urged the government to investigate the incident for breach of standard operating procedures and security protocol at KLIA.

"All leaders must trust the authorities in dispensing their duties.

“If there was any misunderstanding, the minister could have provided assistance according to procedure or obtained a clearer picture of the incident from personnel on the ground," he said, adding that no one was above the law.

He said action should be taken against the minister in order to avoid a repeat of the incident.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Bersatu pioneer leader Muhammad Faiz Na’aman quits party
Man killed, two injured after car crashes into electric pole
Accountant assaults ex-husband over unpaid debt
KL OCPDs must be more hands on, city's top cop says
State polls: No problem retaining Penang, Negri Sembilan and S'gor, says Rafizi
State polls: Selangor will lose out if not under unity govt, says Zahid
State polls: Kota Anggerik voters want better public transport, says PAS candidate
State polls: Umno voters now support Perikatan, says Peja
State polls: Early voters to fulfill their responsibilities on Aug 8
Intel shows S’gor no longer a Pakatan stronghold, claims Azmin

Others Also Read