12-year-old boy died of septic shock, not heatstroke, says Johor exco member


JOHOR BARU: The Health Department has confirmed that the death of the 12-year-old boy from Kluang was not due to heatstroke as reported by some, says Johor exco member Ling Tian Soon (pic).

In clarifying the matter, the state health and unity committee chairman said the boy was rushed to Hospital Enche’ Besar Hajjah Khalsom in Kluang after experiencing a seizure.

"He had earlier suffered from a fever the day before his death, and had been coughing for about three days prior.

ALSO READ: Boy, 12, dies of septic shock in Kluang, heatstroke suspected

"His death was classified as due to septic shock secondary to meningoencephalitis and has nothing to do with heatstroke as reported," he told The Star.

The meninges are layers of thin tissue that cover the brain, and when both the meninges and brain become inflamed or infected, the condition is called meningoencephalitis.

Ling, who is also Yong Peng assemblyman, said this was based on a full report he received from the hospital.

ALSO READ: Health Dept to draw up full report on 'heatstroke death' in Kluang

He hoped that the public would stop speculating about the matter and cause further confusion.

"I understand that there had been cases of heatstroke of late due to the hot season, which could lead to some misunderstanding due to symptoms similar to those experienced by the boy," he said, adding that the state government was aware that the case had attracted a lot of public attention.

Earlier, a Malay daily reported that the boy, Airiel Syahren Syahrol Azmi from Kluang, died from heatstroke after he was rushed to the district hospital on Monday (May 1).

A family member of the victim said according to hospital documents, the boy died of septic shock secondary to meningoencephalitis.

He said the second of four siblings started showing signs of fever, cramps, vomiting, and incontinence on Sunday (April 30).

Heatstroke has been identified as the cause of death of one of the two recent fatalities involving children in Kelantan.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

417 Filipinos deported via deportation programme for illegals, says Sabah Immigration Department
Zambry: UiTM enrollment separate issue from Parallel Pathway programme
Investigate DRT deal, says MCA division youth leaders
Pahang succeeds in eradicating hardcore poverty, says MB
Happy National Journalist Day, Dr Wee wishes journos
MMEA thwarts attempt to smuggle turtle meat from 1,000 animals near Kudat
MCMC and UNODC lead fight against cybercrime in Southeast Asia
KDCA and stall operator settle dispute with traditional salt ceremony
City Hall to provide four contractors in each parliamentary area for tree maintenance
C4 urges procurement reforms amid Selangor mobility contract controversy

Others Also Read