Same old sex scandal, says Melaka CM


  • Nation
  • Friday, 28 Apr 2023

MELAKA: The alleged sex scandal involving a Melaka executive councillor reeks of familiarity, says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh.

"I was also embroiled in a murky controversy when I was previously the state assembly speaker.

"The plot to undermine me was cooked up by the same 'cast' and contained the same agenda (as the current allegations against the exco member)," he said here on Friday (April 28).

In October 2020, Ab Rauf was alleged to have sexually assaulted a woman at a hotel here.

ALSO READ: No scandal here, says Melaka exco

However, the supposed victim lodged a police report denying claims of the incident circulated on social media at the time.

Speaking to the media after an event to welcome participants of the International Celebrity Visit Melaka event at Banda Hilir here, Ab Rauf said propagating controversies on social media was not appropriate.

He said anyone can make wild allegations on social media but their claims must be verified.

"We have to ponder about what's right and wrong if someone has an agenda to bring someone else down using social media," he said.

ALSO READ: Melaka NGO files report at MACC over alleged sex scandal

Ab Rauf said his main aim was to ensure prosperity in Melaka and he would not let himself be distracted by unfounded allegations.

"Let's all move on. The state has entered a new political phase and we simply can't be interrupted by unnecessary and personal issues," he said.

Ab Rauf said it was the prerogative of housing and local government, climate change and disaster management committee chairman Datuk Rais Yasin to navigate the issue.

"It's up to him to lodge a police report or take any other form of action against the allegation," he added.

On Thursday (April 27), Rais claimed that the allegation of a sex scandal was untrue.

He said it first surfaced during the Umno divisional elections in March.

Rais said the allegation was aimed at discrediting him and smearing his reputation.

A social media post with a video clip and supposed WhatsApp screenshot was circulated on Tuesday (April 25) purportedly showing the exco engaging in an “obscene” phone conversation with a woman.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Kemaman by-election a pilot test for new system, says EC
Kemaman by-election: 42pc voter turnout as of 1pm
Malaysia and south Thailand may work to develop Halal industry, says Dr Wee
Two teenagers held over viral video of boy hurling profanities
Johor Sultan receives honorary PhD from UTHM
Visa-free travel programme will boost tourism sector's recovery, says hotel association
RM16.89mil allocation shows youth development still a priority, says Sabah CM
New guidelines for campsite operators to be introduced in 2024, says Nga
Govt to revive town hall session to clarify issues raised in Auditor-General's Report
Two temporary flood relief centres in Johor closed, victims return home

Others Also Read