Prisons overcrowded by 6,000 inmates

MALAYSIAN prisons are overcrowded by over 6,000 inmates, says Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

He said based on the Prisons Department’s records, as at Feb 2, a total of 78,236 people were currently undergoing detention at all the prisons.

“The figure exceeds the actual occupancy capacity of 65,762 people (in the prison system), with an excess of 6,675 people,” he said in a written parliamentary reply to a question from Datuk Seri Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man (PN-Kubang Kerian).

Tuan Ibrahim asked the Home Ministry to state the number of prisoners in the prison facilities as well as the ratio of prison wardens to the number of prisoners.

The Home Minister said that from the total figure, some 92.59% of inmates were placed in various facilities while the remaining 7.41% are serving outside the prison walls.

There are 39 prison facilities and three Henry Gurney schools for young offenders.

Saifuddin said the ratio of prison officers, or wardens, to prisoners in each prison was one prison officer to three or five prisoners.

“The ratio changes based on the security category of the prisons, the categories of prisoners, as well as requirements in the form of training and rehabilitation programmes for the respective prisoners,” he said.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Works, Home ministries among four agencies to take platinum in govt performance index
Cops nab five men, woman over Tampoi brawl
Muslims take advantage of 'Istiwa' A'dzam' phenomenon to determine direction of Qibla
Journalism increasingly unique, challenging with digital developments, says media club president
Informal mediation centre should be set up to settle disputes between Muslims, non-Muslims, says Religious Affairs Minister
Tourism Ministry allocates RM25mil for cultural sector matching grants
Over 1,500 commercial crime cases reported since beginning of this year, say Johor cops
Media experts address issues of AI tools in journalism at Hawana forum
No immediate plans to revise economic growth projections following ringgit slide, says Rafizi
Anwar gets gold media card in appreciation of continued support for media freedom

Others Also Read