JOHOR BARU: The Johor Civil Defence Force (APM) has instructed its 1,000 personnel to always be prepared for recurrence of floods even as the monsoon season will last until the end of next month.
Its state director assistant Asst Comm (PA) Kamal Mokhtar (pic) said this includes its personnel as well as volunteers from private bodies and other government agencies.
“We are not taking chances. This is part of our precautionary measures as there is a possibility of floods again, especially in low-lying areas and near rivers.
“Even though the flood situation in Johor is improving, we are still in ready mode as the monsoon season, which started in November last year, will last until the end of March.
“With that in mind, all 1,000 state APM personnel must always be prepared to face any possibility that may occur in this monsoon season,” he added.
Kamal said this when met after receiving flood aid donated by the Malay Chamber of Commerce Malaysia (DPMM) and Malaysia Muslim Consumers Association (PPIM) at Johor APM headquarters here on Tuesday (Feb 7).
Meanwhile, the number of flood victims in three districts continues to drop with the latest figure at 59 people as of 6pm today.
According to the state disaster management committee, the victims were currently seeking shelter at three temporary relief centres in Batu Pahat, Segamat and Mersing.
“There are currently 26 evacuees from eight villages at Dewan Orang Ramai Sri Medan in Batu Pahat.
“This is followed by Segamat with 26 villagers from Kampung Seberang Batu Badak relocated to Balairaya Kampung Seberang Batu Badak,” the committee said in a statement.
It added that Mersing had seven victims from Kampung Jemari seeking shelter at Sekolah Agama Pengkalan Batu.