AMPANG: The remand for the married couple detained in connection with the bomb attack that killed a waiter in Pandan Indah has been extended until Jan 17.
Ampang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Mohamad Farouk Eshak said the 33-year-old man and his 30-year-old wife were brought to the Ampang Magistrate's Court on Tuesday (Jan 10) for the remand extension application.
"They were brought to the court at about 11am.
"The initial remand for the couple was supposed to end on Tuesday but it has been extended for another week following the remand extension application," he said when contacted on Tuesday.
The suspects were represented by lawyer RSN Rayer, he added.
"We needed to extend the remand as we are investigating the matter further," he said.
The 28-year-old waiter at a restaurant in Pandan Indah was killed by an explosion at about 8.55pm on Dec 29 when he inspected a package placed on his car.
It was reported that the home-made bomb was detonated remotely.
The victim sustained severe injuries to his body and hands. He was rushed to Hospital Ampang but succumbed to his injuries.
Selangor acting police chief Deputy Comm Datuk S. Sasikala Devi had said the two suspects were believed to also be in the vicinity during the incident.
Police have recorded statements from 36 individuals so far in connection with the case while the motive for the murder was personal reasons.
Various tools and equipment were seized from the suspects’ home including some fireworks and blades.
It is learnt that the explosive device used contained similar materials.
A married couple was later detained on Jan 3.
They were arrested at a house in Serdang, Kedah following a raid by a CID team from the Ampang Jaya district police headquarters.