Dr M to focus on writing


Still keeping busy: Dr Mahathir, seen here at the launch of his book ‘Capturing Hope’ in December last year, says there are various incidents in the country that have not been recorded.

KUALA LUMPUR: Pejuang chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad will devote his time to writing about the nation’s history and activities following his party’s heavy defeat in the 15th General Election (GE15).

The former prime minister said he was also open to being interviewed by writers.

“I will focus on writing about history and activities in the country.

“I believe there are various incidents in the country that have not been recorded, including what occurred during the British era. I am also open to being interviewed by writers,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Saddened by Pejuang’s losses in GE15, Dr Mahathir said he accepted the people’s choice.

“We hope the party that won (the elections) will form the new government.

“As Pejuang lost in all 125 seats that it contested, the party will not be able to become an opposition in the Dewan Rakyat,” he said.

Dr Mahathir said all Pejuang’s plans had to be abandoned as well.

“All we can do is to observe the administration of the winning party.

“We pray that the country will be able to heal, no matter who becomes the next government,” he added.

The former two-time prime minister, who contested in Langkawi, failed to defend the seat for the second term, securing only 4,566 votes out of 48,123 votes in a five-cornered contest.

Apart from Dr Mahathir, who is also Gerakan Tanah Air (GTA) protem chairman, other senior Pejuang leaders who lost their deposits are his son, Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir, who failed to defend the Jerlun seat after losing to Perikatan Nasional candidate Dr Abd Ghani Ahmad, and GTA deputy chairman Datuk Marzuki Yahya in his attempt to wrest the Sungai Petani seat from Pakatan Harapan.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Full report on Batang Kali landslide out in three weeks
Floods: 52 evacuated from Bukit Mertajam villages
Nine of 22 Pr1ma sick projects completed nationwide
Dec 12 verdict on Sultanah's appeal in suit against Rewcastle-Brown
Bodyguard lands in hot water for posing as cop
Le Tour de Langkawi: Several Perak roads to be closed from Sept 25 to 27
Matunggong artisans' long haul into Malaysia Book of Records
Sarawak JKR takes immediate steps to contain soil erosion at Sungai Musah bridge
Almost two billion suspicious calls, 581 million SMS successfully blocked, says Fahmi Fadzil
Revenge, anger led to Tampin man's murder, says Melaka police chief

Others Also Read