GE15: Hold concurrent state polls and save taxpayers' money, Pakatan told


GEORGE TOWN: The Pakatan Harapan-led states Penang, Selangor and Negri Sembilan should hold their state polls together with the 15th General Election (GE15) to save cost, says a Penang MCA leader.

State MCA Public Services and Complaints Bureau head Ooi Teik Liang cited an extra expense of RM350mil if the three states hold their elections separately, as stated earlier by Election Commission (EC) deputy chairman Datuk Seri Wan Ahmad Wan Omar.

ALSO READ: Pakatan states adamant they will not go to polls this year

“Taxpayers' money will be used to pay salaries, print ballot papers, logistics and other election expenses.

“In addition to these extra expenses, after GE15, there will also be campaigns for the state elections, and the public will grow annoyed and tired of politics.

"Too many campaign activities will not bring any good as it will affect the people's daily life.

“It will also affect the mood and feelings of voters as well as voter turnout,” he told a press conference at Penang MCA headquarters here on Friday (Oct 7).

Ooi criticised DAP and Pakatan which previously said they were ready to face GE15 but have now taken a different approach.

ALSO READ: PAS: No plans to dissolve state assemblies

Ooi, who is Padang Kota MCA coordinator, said there were still reports of floods, traffic jams and landslides which had not been solved in the state.

On Oct 5, Pakatan chairman Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said the coalition-led states of Penang, Selangor and Negri Sembilan will not hold their state polls concurrently with GE15 if it happened soon.

He said it was decided at a meeting of the coalition's presidential council and leaders of the three states that they would not dissolve their respective assemblies in view of the impending monsoon season and expected floods.

ALSO READ: 'Floods could disrupt GE15'

“In case Parliament is dissolved, these three states have decided to concentrate on facing the floods and alleviating the burden of victims,” he told reporters at a press conference in Parliament after Pakatan’s presidential council meeting.

He said state governments should not be adding to the misery of the people who would already be coping with the floods.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Body of foreigner found in bushes with head injuries
King, Queen grace dinner in conjunction with Conference of Rulers meeting
Repair works completed, train services back to normal on Kelana Jaya LRT line
New water tariff adjustments for non-domestic categories from Jan 1 in Penang
Boy dies after being crushed by falling electric poles
Poster on traffic summonses discount is false, says Home Ministry
Body of man who fell off Tenom bridge found after six days
GE15: BN, PH candidates to discuss campaign strategy for Tioman seat
Civil service committed to implement reform agenda under PM Anwar, says Chief Secretary to the Government�
DID issues flood preparedness notice in three states

Others Also Read