GEORGE TOWN: The manhunt for the 176 Rohingya escapees from the immigration detention centre in Relau, Bandar Baharu in Kedah is ongoing, says Comm Wan Hassan Wan Ahmad.
The Kedah police chief urged the public to report to the police if they saw anyone who looked suspicious, probably walking around barefooted.
“We have set up four roadblocks in the Bandar Baharu area, four at South Seberang Prai and five more at Kulim area.
“We have police on the ground patrolling the area.
“There might be detainees who may try to stop moving cars and ask for a ride from them,” he said during a press conference on Wednesday (April 20).
Comm Wan Hassan also said that he was worried that the escapees might resort to committing crimes.
On Wednesday (April 20), a riot, which began as a protest around 5am by more than Rohingya detainees, quickly got out of control.
It is understood most of the Rohingya there were previously detained in operations by various agencies in Langkawi.