Depot riot: 165 out of 528 escapees still on the loose, says DG


KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 363 out of 528 undocumented migrants, who escaped from the temporary Immigration depot in Sungai Bakap, Penang, have been rearrested.

Immigration director-general Datuk Seri Khairul Dzaimee Daud said the detainees had earlier escaped the depot at about 4.30am on Wednesday (April 20).

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau
MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members
Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops
Shattered dreams behind the bridal veil
Easing financial hardships�
Perikatan faces leadership test
Displaced families seek refuge as rains continue
Flood response in full swing

Others Also Read