IPOH: The lives of some of those hit by the freak storm at Taman Tasek Damai here in January have almost returned to normal.
Their homes that had been damaged by a landspout at the end of last month are now being fixed by contractors.
Former eatery operator Wong Chun Chean, 83, said he had returned to his house after staying at his daughter’s home in Menglembu for two days.
“My wife and I came back once the electricity and water were reconnected.
“We spent the first two days of Chinese New Year at our daughter’s house,” he said during a visit by Ipoh mayor Datuk Rumaizi Baharin in the area yesterday.
“I am so glad that our house is now being repaired,” he said, adding that the roof tiles were blown away during the incident.
“Everything is back to normal now.
“I just need to fix some minor damage to the front gate,” he added.
Wong said he had bought several pieces of tarpaulin to cover the roof to prevent rainwater from leaking into his house following the incident, adding that he has been living here for about 30 years.
A total of 219 houses in four residential areas – Kampung Tawas, Taman Tasek Damai, Taman Desa Seri Chepor and Kampung Seri Klebang Tambahan – were hit by a landspout on Jan 30.
The storm sent roofs flying, uprooted trees and even several utilities poles.
Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Saarani Mohamad assured the victims that the state would assist them in repairing their houses while each victim would also receive RM300.
Factory worker Kamarul Hisam Ahmad Salaludin, 35, said he had hired a contractor to fix his house earlier.
“I just couldn’t wait as my roof was badly damaged, leaving my house exposed to the weather.
“I had spent RM300 to get a contractor who told me he could fix my house cheaply,” he said.
Kamarul Hisam, who had just moved into the area three years ago, said he was at his mother’s house in Kampung Manjoi when the landspout hit.
Courier lorry driver Hamzah Majid, 54, said he was still traumatised by the incident.
“I am now terrified whenever the weather turns gloomy or when the wind is strong,” he said.
Hamzah said he was thankful to the state government and Ipoh City Council for arranging for contractors to repair his home.
“I have asked a private contractor who said the damage to my house would cost about RM10,000 to be repaired,” he said, adding that he has been living there for 22 years.
Rumaizi said works to repair the 44 houses damaged by the landspout in Taman Tasek Damai would take about a week to complete.
He added that the city council would visit Kampung Tawas next week to check on houses that need repairing, with reports that two homes suffered total damages and needed to be rebuilt.
