We are prepared for second wave of floods, says Bomba DG


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 25 Dec 2021

SHAH ALAM: The Fire and Rescue Department is ready for the possibility of a second wave of floods, says Datuk Seri Mohammad Hamdan Wahid.

The director-general said the department has been monitoring potential dangerous and at-risk areas in Pahang, Sarawak and Selangor.

"We conducted 13 monitoring operations in Pahang, 34 in Sarawak and 20 in Selangor," said Mohammad Hamdan.

"We learnt our lesson based on what happened in Selangor. We are ready for the possibility of a second wave that could happen within a day or two until Dec 29 according to reports by the Meteorological Department," he added.

Mohammad Hamdan said this at a press conference at the flood operation centre in Taman Sri Muda on Saturday (Dec 25).

For the east coast states, Mohammad Hamdan said all preparations are intact and organised.

"We monitored preparations for the east coast and they are very organised. We believe agencies there will have the capabilities to face the floods effectively. The department is also closely monitoring Sarawak's west coast and Sabah's east coast," he added.

Mohammad Hamdan said that it is important to be prepared at the district and state levels with assistance from the federal level

"Let us pray that the second wave is not as bad or worse than the first one," he also said.

Mohammad Hamdan added that the Department has conducted 3,259 operations, including relocating and rescuing victims, monitoring dangerous areas as well as transporting aid since the floods began.

"A total of 7,430 personnel have been involved in the operations since the first day," he said.

For Taman Sri Muda, Mohammad Hamdan said the flood operation centre will still be operational until at least next Saturday.

"The focus now is channeling aid in terms of food and necessities for the victims. At the same time, we are coordinating with other agencies and NGOs to ensure the needy receive necessary aid," he added.

The department is also assisting in cleanup operations in Taman Sri Muda and other affected areas, he said.

"Basically, the department and other agencies will still remain at the operation centre to assist victims to get back on their feet," Mohammad Hamdan said.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

No Umno members have applied to join PKR so far, says comms director
Nurul Izzah's appointment 'legally right but morally wrong', says Pasir Gudang MP
Navy to receive five LCS vessels in first batch, down one from original six
Azalina: Sulu heirs' fraudulent behaviour led to Luxembourg court decision in our favour
Three fined for illegal World Cup betting
Security guard held over death of man at Kota Baru mosque
Three, including teen, charged with extorting and causing hurt to businessman
Floods: Number of evacuees in Johor dips to 2,638 at noon, two PPS shut
Company owner charged with submitting false documents for Penjana Kerjaya claims
Sabah Bersatu doesn't expect another exodus to Hajiji's new Gagasan Rakyat

Others Also Read