Tanjung Balau Boat Tragedy: Coastal search and rescue continues, sea search postponed


An MMEA helicopter searching for survivors in the waters around Tanjung Balau on Thrusday. The sea search has been postponed due to bad visibility.

JOHOR BAHRU: The search and rescue operation to locate the victims of a boat that capsized on Wednesday (Dec 15) in waters off Tanjung Balau, Kota Tinggi, continued over Thursday (Dec 16) to cover the coastal area of Tanjung Siang right up to Tanjung Balau.

According to Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency Search and Rescue Forward Base (PHC) 17 personnel from various agencies were being deployed in the operation which started at 7pm on Thursday.

"The coastal search will continue as long as the search operation is still on," said PHC.

However the sea search which involved the deployment of assets was halted and postponed due to poor visibility.

Earlier, seven bodies were found in Tanjung Balau today, bringing the total number of bodies recovered so far to 19, while 17 victims are still missing. - Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

operation , SAR , PHC , MMEA , search and rescue , tanjung balau , capsize ,

   

Next In Nation

Woman severely injured after being thrown out of car during crash in Setia Alam
Jendela: Almost 300,000 premises in Kedah now have fibre optic network access
Monkeypox: Govt has no plans to close country's borders, says Health Ministry
Atia was active, enjoyed having Raya guests, says father of missing girl
Okay to criticise Vietnam SEA Games gold medal haul, but be constructive, says Ti
Wee: People from all walks of life at Melaka state govt Raya open house
GRS hits the ground running after launch with Sabah First agenda
Party polls will set PKR's direction and strategy for GE15, says academician
Parliament select committee to deliver comprehensive roadmap on child justice system
Why the personal attacks against me, asks Tajuddin

Others Also Read