Bukit Aman on high alert over ‘invasion’ threat in Sabah, says IGP


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman will raise its preparedness to the highest level in Sabah to face any possible threat, says Tan Sri Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani.

The Inspector-General of Police said the police were committed to ensure that no trespassing occurred in Sabah.

"We are aware of the media report claiming there are certain parties in the Philippines planning to invade Sabah.

"We are taking the matter seriously and we will take immediate action to raise our preparedness towards the highest level in Sabah," he said in a statement on Thursday (Dec 9).

The Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) had good relations with the authorities in the Philippines in terms of sharing of intelligence on any activity that could threaten the safety and security of both countries, Acryl Sani said.

"So far, there is no confirmation on the supposed invasion plan," he said.

The country's top cop assured the public that the security in Sabah was under control.

"The police are ready anytime to face and curb any threat.

"Efforts are being made to identify and track down those in Sabah that might be involved in the plot.

"We will take stern action against any party who threatens the country's security and sovereignty," he said.

South China Morning post reported that there was a secret meeting among 19 mayors in Sulu province to discuss the recruitment of 600 armed fighters to set up a "Royal Sulu Army" in order to invade Sabah.

The meeting was allegedly held with a senior political figure in Sulu who ordered each mayor to carry out recruitment for the force.

The report, quoting a regional security official, also alleged that there were spies sent to scope out coastal towns.

The source said the meeting was allegedly conducted by a locally-elected official of Sulu province, who gathered mayors from the Sulu Archipelago to discuss plans to set up the invasion force.

In 2013, over 200 armed Sulu militants had entered Sabah via Lahad Datu, resulting in a month-long stand-off and armed skirmishes in their bid to forcefully claim Sabah as theirs.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Sabah , IGP , Acryl Sani , invasion , Sulu

   

Next In Nation

Woman remanded for seven days over husband's fatal stabbing
More Penang DAP leaders to join Warisan, set to contest all seats, says coordinator
Johor polls: Jementah DAP rep will not defend seat in upcoming election
Three killed, four injured in two-vehicle crash in Kuantan
'I accept court's decision, will work with legal team on defence', says Zahid
Johor polls: Umno eyes 42 seats, says Tok Mat
More time needed to prepare for defence, says Zahid's lawyers
Cops to summon individuals who stopped cars along Temiang-Pantai Highway
Covid-19 Watch: 45.7% of adult population have received vaccine booster dose
Zahid ordered to enter defence on 47 charges of corruption

Others Also Read


Vouchers