Celebrity couple given DNAA


SEREMBAN: Celebrity Noor Neelofa Mohd Noor and her husband Muhammad Haris Mohd Ismail were given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal (DNAA) by the Magistrate’s Court here for allegedly violating standard operating procedure during the conditional movement control order in May.

Magistrate Mohd Firdaus Saleh made the decision after a defence team for the accused told the court that it had made a representation to the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) on the matter and was told that it was prepared to offer a compound for the three offences allegedly committed by the couple.

The couple had on May 20 pleaded not guilty to a charge of failing to scan their details via the MySejahtera application or to register manually before entering a carpet shop located at the Nilai 3 Industrial Area at 4pm on May 2.

Muhammad Haris also claimed trial to another charge of failing to wear a face mask in a public place at the same place and time.

They were charged under Rule 19 of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Regulations (conditional movement order) 2021, which provides a fine of not more than RM50,000, a jail term of not more than six months or both, upon conviction.

The couple was represented by Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, Haresh Mahadevan and Ramzani Idris.

Deputy public prosecutor Nor Azizah Aling appeared for the prosecution.

When met later, Muhammad Shafee said the defence’s representation had been accepted by the AGC.

“This is not a big case but has been blown out of proportion,” he said, adding that the defence team was happy with the decision as it would have been difficult for Neelofa who is pregnant, if the court proceedings were to continue.

Muhammad Shafee added that the couple should be issued with compounds within a day or two.

Meanwhile, Haresh said the defence team submitted the representation in September.

“Our representation was successful and in order for these offences to be compounded, the charges need to be given a DNAA first.

“Once this is done, our clients will be issued with compounds which they have to pay before the next court date,” he said.

Haresh said the case would be heard in court again on Dec 21 where the couple would have to prove that they had paid for the compounds.

“They will have to show proof that payment has been done and only then an acquittal can be applied to put this matter to rest once and for all,” he added.

The couple refused to comment on the court decision when approached by reporters.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Swedish govt committed to combatting Islamophbia, racism, says Na'im
Acknowledge Perikatan’s shadow Cabinet officially in Parliament, says Bersih
Floods: 285 victims still in relief centres in Sabah as of 8pm on Feb 3
TVET should be led by single agency, new policy needs clarity, says FMM
Tawau MMEA foils attempt to smuggle contraband cigarettes
Selangor Umno ready to discuss state polls seat allocations with Pakatan, says Megat Zulkarnain
Over 100 people lose RM4.6mil to online rewards scam
Four lanes at Kota Kemuning toll plaza to be diverted until Feb 13
Parliament ditching neckties make MPs more approachable, says Loke
Govt to continue expansionary fiscal policy to support economic growth, says PM

Others Also Read