Covid-19: Cases rise above 6,000, says Health DG


PETALING JAYA: The number of new Covid-19 cases has gone up to 6,210, after staying below the 6,000 mark for three days, says Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

The Health director-general said of the new cases, 98.1% (6,094) were mild and asymptomatic.

"Another 116 cases or 1.9% are Category Three, Four and Five infections," he said in a press statement on Thursday (Oct 21).

There were 42 imported cases involving 19 Malaysians and 23 foreigners.

Of the 6,168 locally-transmitted infections, 5,860 (95%) involved Malaysians and the remaining 308 (5%) involved foreigners.

Cumulatively, Malaysia has recorded a total of 2,413,592 Covid-19 cases since the start of the pandemic last year.

A total of 7,562 Covid-19 patients were discharged, bringing the total number of recoveries to 2,303,583 or 95.4%

There are now 677 patients in intensive care units nationwide, up from 666 on Wednesday (Oct 20), with 319 on ventilator support.

The Covid-19 death toll currently stands at 28,138 after another 76 people died on Wednesday. Of the total fatalities, 14 were classified as brought-in-dead (BID) cases, based on the CovidNow website.

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Undi18, automatic voter registration to take effect Dec 15
Dr Wee: Average price of flight ticket to S'wak is RM360, can be reduced with more flight frequency
Ismail Sabri declares Dec 3 as Malaysia Batik Day
Dr Wee conveys appreciation to the PM for launching KLATCC
Najib, Rosmah meet new grandson Aidan in Singapore
Govt to make joint announcement with S'gor on ECRL breakthrough, says Dr Wee
Covid-19: New cases increase to 5,439 compared to 4,879 on Tuesday (Nov 30)
Malaysia's reduced HIV cases through prevention, treatment, says Khairy
Shahidan announces public holiday for Federal Territories after KL's M'sia Cup win
Price of poultry and eggs to remain unchanged in December, says Livestock Association

Others Also Read


Vouchers