GEORGE TOWN: Four individuals who were undergoing home quarantine were forced to flee from their houses in Kampung Jelutong Barat as a fire broke out in the wee hours of Saturday (Sept 18).
It was learnt that a family with a child and a man, who was in his 80s, had tested positive for Covid-19 and were quarantined at their homes.
The family of three ran out of their house and stayed in the back lane to distance themselves from the public while the old man remained in his house until he was found.
The Health Ministry has since brought the families to a quarantine centre.
The Fire and Rescue Department in a statement said the three houses were almost destroyed by the fire.
"When the Fire and Rescue team arrived at the scene, the three houses were on fire. The estimated overall destruction was 80%," said the Department.
It added in a statement that no victims were reported, and said that the operation was led by the Jalan Perak fire station, assisted by the Lebuh Pantai and Bagan Jermal fire stations.
It also said that two of the houses were occupied while the third was being used to store electrical equipment and wiring.
Eleven families were affected by the fire.