Number of flood victims in Sabah rises to 96 people


Residents of Kampung Sungai Labu in Labuan relax by the beach as dark clouds gather in the distance. The Malaysian Metereological Department expects heavy rainfall around the west coast of Sabah to continue until Saturday (Sept 3). - Bernama pic

KOTA KINABALU (Bernama): The number of flood evacuees in Sabah continued to rise to 96 people from 31 families as at 8am Saturday (Sept 4) compared to 68 people from 21 families on Friday (Sept 3) night.

The Sabah State Disaster Management Secretariat in a statement said that 78 victims from 26 families were taken to the Dewan DSP Mohd Dun Banir relief centre in Beaufort, while 15 victims from four families were placed at the Dewan Mini Mesapol relief centre in Sipitang.

In addition, a family of three from Kampung Kolopis, Penampang was evacuated to the Penampang Sports Complex Club House relief centre, which was opened last night.

"As of Saturday morning, apart from Beaufort, Sipitang and Penampang, three other flood-hit districts are Kota Kinabalu, Tuaran and Keningau, however, so far there are no evacuees in these districts.

"The floods occurred following heavy rainfall around the west coast of Sabah for several days and the Malaysian Meteorological Department foresees that heavy rains are expected to continue until Saturday," the statement said. - Bernama

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Sabah , Floods , Victims , Beaufort , Sipatang , Penampang

   

Next In Nation

Azmin has a tendency to ‘micromanage’, says Amirudin
Muhyiddin should assist MACC to locate son-in-law, says Fahmi
Explain why Kelantan can’t resolve water woes, Anwar asks PAS, Perikatan
Company owners to be charged with fraud in Tawau
Vincent Tan, Berjaya Land file RM200mil suit against Sanusi
Kudat MMEA detains two Filipinos for ferrying controlled items without permit
State polls: Talk about bringing down Federal Govt will not aid economic recovery, says Nik Nazmi
State polls: Don't miss out opportunities for a better life, Zahid tells Kelantan folk
Sanusi sues Saifuddin over REE theft allegations
Ipoh cops on the hunt for car thieves

Others Also Read