Country’s death toll now stands at 9,024


PETALING JAYA: More than 30% of the Covid-19 deaths recorded over the past 24 hours were from Selangor, said Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

A total of 165 people succumbed to Covid-19 in the latest tally, bringing the country’s death toll to 9,024.

Selangor recorded the highest number of deaths at 52, followed by Johor (30), Negri Sembilan (23) and Kedah (18).

Dr Noor Hisham said that of the record 17,786 daily cases reported yesterday, 260 cases (1.5%) were from Categories 3, 4 and 5 while the remaining 17,526 (98.5%) were from Categories 1 and 2.

“This is based on the clinical condition of the cases at the point that they were diagnosed with Covid-19. Some of the cases remained in the same category throughout the period of infection.

“However, some of the cases experienced a change in their health status, either improving to a lower category or declining to a higher category,” he said in his daily statement.

Category 1 means a patient is asymptomatic. Category 2 is for those with mild symptoms.

Category 3 cases experience pneumonia while cases in Category 4 require oxygen. Category 5 patients are in a critical stage requiring ventilator support.

Taking precautions: A man sanitising the ‘wudu’ (ablution) area at Masjid Dato Hj Abdullah Sijang in Port Dickson. — BernamaTaking precautions: A man sanitising the ‘wudu’ (ablution) area at Masjid Dato Hj Abdullah Sijang in Port Dickson. — Bernama

Malaysia’s total cumulative Covid-19 cases is now at 1,113,272.

Of the new cases, nine were imported while 17,777 were local infections.

Selangor again recorded the highest daily new case numbers at 6,400. This was followed by Kuala Lumpur (1,962 cases), Kedah, (1,389), Johor (1,144 cases), and Sabah (1,035 cases).

The three states that recorded the fewest cases were Putrajaya (116), Perlis (16) and Labuan (nine).

There were also 11,718 recoveries nationwide for a total of 914,639 recoveries to date.

The number of active cases now stands at 189,609.

Of the active cases, 1,062 are in intensive care units with 534 requiring ventilator support.

A total of 28 new Covid-19 clusters were also reported, bringing the total number of active clusters to 1,106.

The new clusters were from workplaces (13), communities (12), a high-risk group (one), a detention centre (one) and a religious cluster (one).

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Covid-19 , Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah

   

Next In Nation

Woman loses RM53,000 in phone scam in Penang
Elderly woman, who is Covid-19 person under surveillance, found dead in ditch
Covid-19: Another 13,104 cases, 1.5% in categories 3, 4 and 5
EMCO at two localities in Pahang from Tuesday (Sept 28)
Penang cops nab trio to assist in murder probe
Teachers who refuse Covid-19 vaccines may be transferred, says Education Minister
Focus on business-friendly policies and not bumiputra equity requirement, Finance Ministry urged
Govt to announce terms and conditions for Tabung Haji RCI soon
Boy dies after tree falls on him while swimming at Sg Serendah
Socso paid RM11.19mil in compensation to those infected with Covid-19 at workplaces

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers