Sepang Deputy OCPD: Cops investigating media trespass at MAEPS quarantine centre, not doctors protest

  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 28 Jul 2021

SEPANG: The police are investigating allegations that media personnel trespassed into the Covid-19 Integrated Quarantine and Treatment Centre (PKRC) 2.0 in the Malaysia Agro Exposition Park Serdang (MAEPS), says Sepang Deputy OCPD Supt Md Noor Aehawan Mohamed.

He said that the police have recorded the statements of 17 Health Ministry personnel - including doctors and nurses - in connection with the alleged trespass.

In a statement on Wednesday (July 28), Supt Md Noor Aehawan said that the police received a report on the matter which was lodged by the PKRC’s management on Tuesday (July 27).

“The area has been designated as Covid-19 quarantine and treatment centre and outsiders are not allowed on the premises without permission. The centre has about 496 Covid-19 patients,” he said.

Supt Md Noor Aehawan added that one of the media personnel conducted a live coverage while in the area and said that while recording the statements, doctors and nurses assisted the investigation by confirming the presence of media personnel in the area.

“We hope the public will not speculate on the matter as it could lead to distress. We will complete the investigations and refer the investigation paper to the Deputy Public Prosecutor,” he said.

Supt Md Noor Aehawan then added that the police investigation is not focusing on the contract doctors.

Earlier, lawyer Asheeq Ali cried foul about the investigation, saying that 12 doctors who took part in the Hartal Doktor Kontrak protests had their statements recorded until the early hours of the morning.

“The investigation started at 11.45pm (on Tuesday) and ended at about 3.50am. 12 doctors who took part in the @HartalDoktorKontrak, had their statements recorded. The police will continue tomorrow with the doctors who were not on duty tonight,” he tweeted early Wednesday morning.

Asked on criticism that police recorded the statements of doctors until early morning, Supt Md Noor Aehawan said police only recorded the statements of Health Ministry personnel in the capacity of witnesses to the incident.

"When we arrived at the centre, all personnel, whose statements were recorded were on duty and they were at the location during the incident at about 11am until 1pm on Monday (July 26).

"We never disturbed the duties of the doctors as they took turns to have their statements recorded.

"Recording the statements went on until early morning as many doctors had their statements recorded as witnesses," he added.

The “Hartal Doktor Kontrak” movement involved medical officers on contract and included pharmaceutical officers and dental officers who were asking for permanent positions in the public service under the Health Ministry.

Many states had contract doctors walking out from 11am on Monday (July 26) and they returned back to their respective duties after an hour.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

‘Direct tenders needed to speed up emergency projects’
RM7bil flood mitigation projects to be reviewed
DAP will comply with Constitutional rules, says Zahid
Malaysia to import chicken eggs for now
PM: Priority is to aid farmers
D-Day in Padang Serai and Tioman
Johari in race for Speaker’s job
Oil palm plantation picked as The Earthshot Prize finalist
Anwar expresses appreciation for Ismail Sabri’s support
Video probed over attempt to tarnish image of police

Others Also Read