PETALING JAYA: Malaysians are generally having mixed feelings about the latest movement control order (MCO) that was enforced nationwide beginning Wednesday (May 12) to stem the rise in Covid-19 cases.
On social media, some expressed doubts as to whether or not the latest nationwide MCO would be effective, as they believe that stricter restrictions are needed to bring down Covid-19 figures.
"I doubt this MCO will work unless there's a total lockdown," Calvin Gan said on Facebook.
Other Malaysians were pessimistic, possibly reflecting the "pandemic fatigue" experienced by many since the first MCO was implemented in March last year.
"We have already gone through this MCO in the past 14 months, nothing new," commented Brian Goh.
However, some Malaysians praised the government for deciding to maintain a single set of SOPs to curb Covid-19.
"I just realised that they are standardising the SOPs. The best," commented Vincent Seat.
Other Malaysians expressed optimism, as they urged compatriots to abide by SOPs to curb Covid-19 and flatten the curve of infection.
"Please stick to tight SOP and don't frequently change rules overnight. Yes, we can do it and we must do it right this time," commented Lilian Kuan.
According to Senior Minister (Security) Ismail Sabri Yaakob, the alarming spike in cases and the emergence of more dangerous variants from South Africa and India forced the government to impose another round of nationwide MCO.
Ismail Sabri had explained that SOPs are always changing because patterns of infection are dynamic and there are procedures according to each situation.
Despite the MCO, Ismail Sabri said the economic sector will still be allowed to operate.
He also said the National Security Council (NSC) technical committee had standardised the Covid-19 SOPs to be used nationwide and the information will be on the MKN website, as well as those of the relevant ministries.