KOTA KINABALU: Former chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman has formally dropped his appeal in the Federal Court to challenge the appointment of Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal as Sabah Chief Minister in 2018.
His counsel Fuad Tengku Ahmad said they have informed the Federal Court of Musa's decision to withdraw on Friday (March 26).
However, Fuad said Musa was seeking costs from the state government following his decision to discontinue the case.
Fuad said that Musa had obtained leave from the Federal Court in Sept 2020 to appeal against the decision of the Kota Kinabalu High Court and Court of Appeal to throw out his case to be the rightful chief minister.
Musa - who was Sabah's longest-serving chief minister from 2003 to 2018 - was ousted from the post by Shafie 48 hours after he was sworn in by Yang Di Pertua Negeri Tun Juhar Mahiruddin following the May 2018 general election.
He then challenged Juhar's decision to appoint Shafie but lost his case at the High Court and Court of Appeal and subsequently filed an appeal at the Federal Court.
According to Fuad, the Sabah Attorney General representing Juhar did not seek any costs following Musa's decision.
In the Sept 26 snap state election last year, Shafie's Warisan Plus lost the state government to Gabungan Rakyat Sabah led by Sabah Bersatu chairman Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor, who is now the Chief Minister.
Fuad said that Musa was disappointed that the court did not hear his case in spite of a certificate of urgency for leave application filed earlier.
"Had this appeal been heard before the (snap) Sabah state election, I am sure that we would have proceeded with the appeal," he said.
Fuad said that his client had faced many challenges including criminal and political prosecution following his ouster which ended with GRS taking back the state government.