MCO extended to March 4


PETALING JAYA: The movement control order (MCO) will be lifted nationwide from Feb 19 except in four states which still have a high number of cases, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He also said that the National Security Council has also agreed to do away with the 10km radius movement restriction for all states.

He, however, said that does not mean inter-district and interstate travels will be allowed just yet for all states.

The MCO in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang will be extended until March 4.

All the other states, Putrajaya and Labuan with the exception of Perlis, have been placed under the conditional MCO. The conditional MCO will apply to Kedah, Perak, Melaka, Pahang, Negri Sembilan, Terengganu, Kelantan, Putrajaya, Labuan and Sabah.

CLICK TO ENLARGECLICK TO ENLARGE

Perlis would be the sole state to be placed under the recovery

MCO.

In the past, when the authorities relaxed interstate and inter-district travel during the conditional MCO, green zones turned red because of imported cases, he said.

He also said it is entirely the prerogative of the police where they choose to set up roadblocks.

“The Health Ministry has stated that most states have shown a downward trend in the number of cases after two weeks of the second MCO which began on Jan 13.

“The Health Ministry also confirmed that there has been a downward trend for interstate cases from Feb 3.

“But the number of cases remain high in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor and Penang, ” he added.

He said the Sarawak government has announced that the state will continue to be under conditional MCO from Feb 15 to March 1.

He said for the states under the conditional MCO, the SOP will basically be the same as agreed by the NSC last year.

“Weddings, engagements and other social functions will be allowed, with the attendance of 50% of the venue’s capacity.

“Economic activities will be allowed now from 6am to midnight. Face-to-face meetings, seminars and workshops will be allowed, up to 50% of the premises’ capacities.

“Dining in is allowed with physical distancing of one metre, depending on the size of the table.

“Vehicle capacity depends on the number of seats, ” said Ismail.

He also said that spas and reflexology centres are allowed to operate, with strict SOP adherence.

He also announced an end to the enhanced MCO for the Bentong Prison Complex and prison staff quarters on Feb 17, a week earlier than the date set earlier.

“The Health Ministry has confirmed that there is a downward trend in cases in this locality and it is under control, ” he added.

Enhanced MCO on Felda Lasah and Kampung Besi Api in Kuala Kangsar (Perak), Felda Tersat Kuala Berang (Terengganu), TNB staff quarters construction site in Kuala Berang (Terengganu) will also be lifted today.

But the enhanced MCO will be extended in Kampung Sungai Maong, Kuching to March 2, due to a sudden spike in cases.

Ismail Sabri also stated that the authorities have been continuing and will continue with roadblocks, sanitising operations in public areas and border controls to ensure the public continue to adhere to the

SOP.

As of yesterday, 596 people were arrested for not adhering to various MCO regulations and 532 were issued with compounds.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

74% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Police raid four Bitcoin mining premises, nab six
Awang Rasau, the tiger shot by poachers, dies
Twin pride of Malaysia
Glorious outing in 1998 Commonwealth Games
Nay to smokers
MCO brings new chapter in Malaysian lives
Flying high for Malaysia
The day the towers fell
Man in the soup for lodging false police report over lost MyKad
Tok Mat: Umno's stance on Bersatu cooperation has always been consistent

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers