PETALING JAYA: Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) will hold a meeting on Wednesday (Jan 20) evening to discuss safety measures to be taken at Pasar Borong Kuala Lumpur in Selayang following a surge in Covid-19 cases detected there.
DBKL Corporate Planning Department director Khairul Azmir Ahmad said the meeting involving representatives of the National Security Council and Health Ministry will also look into closing certain sections of the market.
“Closure here does not necessarily mean that the whole market will be closed. We might close some sections to make way for sanitisation. We will have to look closer at the number of Covid-19 infections at each of the fish, meat and vegetables sections, ” he said when contacted.
On Jan 19,118 cases of Covid-19 had been detected at the wholesale market involving workers from the vegetable and fish sections.
The fish section has been closed from Jan 18 for sanitisation and is scheduled to reopen on Jan 22.
Mass testing has been conducted at the market since last week after more than 15 cases were detected among fishmongers.
Khairul said another matter to be raised at the meeting are mitigation measures at the market.
“Perhaps we can limit the number of people entering the market. We need to regulate entry to and exit from the area. We also may need to limit the number of workers at each shoplot, ” he said.
At a separate press conference, Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai urged DBKL and the relevant authorities to decide if the market should be closed or allowed to continue operations.
He said this is important as many traders in the city source supplies from the wholesale market.
“Some traders have also ordered extra stock in light of the coming Chinese New Year festivities. They will surely worry if they would still be able to get their supplies or have to source from other wholesalers, ” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful