KOTA KINABALU: The King’s proclamation for a state of Emergency nationwide is a necessary move and a proactive measure to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, says Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor (pic).
Welcoming the proclamation, the Sabah Chief Minister said the need to contain the virus spread and protect the health of the people is of utmost importance.
The Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah has earlier on Tuesday decreed that the Emergency be in force up to Aug 1 or earlier if the number of Covid-19 cases can be effectively controlled and brought down effectively.
The proclamation was made after the King agreed to the proposal following a meeting with Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Monday (Jan 11).
The decision comes a day after Muhyiddin imposed a two-week movement control order (MCO) in all red zone areas, including Sabah, effective Wednesday (Jan 13) to quell the surge in infections.
Meanwhile, former Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Christina Liew has urged the public to be co-operative and adhere to the standard operating procedures (SOPs) during the MCO for the common good.
"This is not the time for social gatherings. It does not pay to defy MCO 2.0 stipulated by the government. Rule breakers cannot escape the long arm of the law, ” said the Sabah PKR chief.
"Do not throw caution to the wind. It is wise to exercise safety precautions, rather than be sorry later," she added.
Did you find this article insightful?
17% readers found this article insightful