Injured GOF cop not ready for another operation


GEORGE TOWN: Sarjan Norihan Tari, who was seriously injured in a shootout with smugglers at the Malaysia-Thailand border in Perlis, is not ready for a third operation although his condition is improving.

The 39-year-old Senoi Praaq General Operation Force (GOF) policeman underwent two operations to remove two out of three bullets from his stomach last Thursday.

He needs another operation to remove the other bullet near his spine.

Penang Hospital director Dr Teo Gim Sian said Sjn Norihan was recuperating well and being closely monitored by specialists at the hospital.

“Any further treatment plans will depend on his progress and recovery, ” she said.

On Nov 25, Sjn Norihan was transferred to Penang Hospital from Hospital Tuanku Fauziah to receive further treatment.

Both he and Sarjan Baharuddin Ramli, 59, from the 3rd Battalion GOF were carrying out intelligence work at the border in Padang Besar in the early hours on Nov 24 when two groups of 13 smugglers set upon them and opened fire.

Sjn Baharuddin was killed while Sjn Norihan was badly injured.

The following day, a member of the same battalion who was on duty at Post M16 in Bukit Kayu Hitam was injured after being shot by an air rifle, believed to be by a smuggler.

Meanwhile, Penang police chief Comm Datuk Sahabudin Abd Manan said Sjn Norihan was showing positive development in his recovery after the surgeries.

“He is now able to breathe on his own without using respiratory assistance. He is also able to consume soft food and drinks, ” he said on Tuesday, adding that Sjn Norihan was able to walk with the assistance of a walker frame.

Meanwhile, Bernama reported that a remand extension had been granted to police for three locals and a Thai national in connection with the shooting in Padang Besar.

Kangar High Court deputy registrar Siti Nor Hasliza Md Ali granted the extension of six days until Dec 8 on the 27-year-old Thai suspect and one of the locals, a 45-year-old.

The other two locals aged 22 and 45 are being remanded for seven days until Dec 9.

On Tuesday, police had obtained a seven-day remand extension on three other suspects, all Thai men, until Dec 7.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Sabah govt to ensure state gets priority in all federal initiatives, says CM
400,000 students return to school for physical classes
Orderly first day back for Form 5 students at Kuching school
Part of Kinabalu Park road collapses, landslides in seven areas after heavy rains in Sabah
Floods: Situation improving in S'wak, Pahang, no change in number of evacuees in Sabah
Covid-19: Pasir Salak MP Tajuddin joins list of politicians to test positive
Wisma Putra: Hisham to take part in virtual Asean Foreign Ministers' Retreat on Thursday (Jan 21)
SPM candidates worry over exams and pandemic
Skip SPM trials, schools told
PPE waste posing a big threat

Stories You'll Enjoy