Minister rubbishes claims Top Glove being allowed to operate


PETALING JAYA: Allegations about the Health Ministry (MOH) allowing Top Glove to operate with workers who should be under quarantine are baseless, says Senior Minister (Security) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said the company’s workers were not allowed to work until they completed their Home Surveillance Order (HSO), while those who tested positive had to be discharged by the MOH.

“There are many people who said the MOH was working with Top Glove to allow those who got tested to work as usual. This is not true.

“The public should not worry. They (workers) are not cleared to be in the community, ” he said during his Covid-19 daily update yesterday.

Ismail Sabri also said the enhanced movement control order (MCO) at Top Glove’s workers’ dormitories in Meru, Klang will be extended for another 14 days, from today until Dec 14. The dormitories had initially been placed under enhanced MCO from Nov 17 to 30.

Ismail Sabri said 5,805 Covid-19 tests had been conducted on Top Glove workers, with 3,406 testing positive.

He said the MOH risk assessment found there was still a high rate of positive cases in the area, adding that those who tested negative still posed a risk and there was a need for a second test.

“All workers will have to undergo testing at private clinics while being monitored by the Klang Health department, ” he said.

He said non-Malaysians who tested negative would be placed at a quarantine centre while Malaysians would have to undergo quarantine at home for 14 days.

Non-citizens who test positive will be placed at the low-risk quarantine and treatment centres (PKRC), while Malaysians who test positive will be placed at MOH’s hospitals.

“Workers undergoing quarantine are not allowed to go back to work until a repeat test is negative and they are given clearance from the HSO, ” he said, adding that employers would bear the cost of testing, setting up and running the PKRC, food, as well as transport.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said two localities in Ipoh, Perak – Zone A of Taman Klebang Jaya and Taman Pinji Mewah – would come under the enhanced MCO for 14 days from today until Dec 14.

This follows a rise in positive Covid-19 cases among workers of the Kamaya and Salutica factories in Ipoh.

Similarly, a temporary detention centre in Sibuga, Sandakan along with Kampung Desa Bajau and Kampung Dasar Baru in Lahad Datu will be placed under the enhanced MCO from Dec 2 to 15.

Ismail Sabri also said that the enhanced MCO in two localities – Putra Point in Nilai and at the Sekolah Agama Bantuan Kerajaan (SABK) Maahad Al-Yahyawiah in Padang Rengas, Kuala Kangsar – had ended.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Ismail Sabri Yaakob , Covid-19 , Top Glove

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

43% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

NSC allows Batu Caves Thaipusam chariot procession, no stops allowed and limited to 10 people
New tahfiz cluster emerges in Kalabakan district, Sabah
Health Ministry: 11 new clusters for 341 total, five end
Medical officer injured after bike crashes into road divider in Sg Petani
Body of suspected addict feared drowned in Kluang found
Covid-19: Cases hit a new record with 4,275 increase, bringing total to 180,455 (updated daily)
Covid-19: Record high of 4,275 cases, seven more deaths
Ismail Sabri: Enhanced MCO at Westlite dorms in Senai ending ahead of time
Education Ministry to further empower TV Pendidikan, says Radzi
Cops carry out op targeting foreign driver flouting traffic rules at wholesale market

Stories You'll Enjoy